XR4Ti Change Delineation Thread

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
grondie
Administrator

Post by grondie »

hEaT wrote:On my 85, the windows don't roll down all the way. They stick up about 1/4" above the door. I believe this was fixed in later years.
I seem to remember that from my original XR that I had in the 80's, it was an 85. Joe, what's the build date on your car and does it have the center armrest hatch release button?

Thanks

Added: Safety Windows didn't roll down all the way 85 Early
Added: Full fuel tank cover 86

Changed: Merkur script on rear hatch 87.5
Bob in NJ

85 White XR / 85 Nimbus Gray XR / 88 White XR Automagic! / 89 Black Scorpio
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Front "pusher" fan redesigned in 88.

Cruise control computer box changed from early "card-style" connector to standard looking harness conector in 87.5
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

grondie wrote:
merkurdriver wrote:
Rooster wrote:in 87.5 they also offered mono red... as a option...
Prove it. :lol:
Did they come with Green Tinted glass as well? :cheers
:lol: Both 87.5's that I've seen with green glass were silver cars. FWIW. Some say its an impossibility.

Now mono-red bi-wing 87.5's...I still don't believe one of those ever rolled out of the factory. No documentation anywhere says it was available.
Teedyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teedyo »

grondie wrote:Good stuff folks!
Mike: Nether of my 85's have the plastic bath-tub around the gas tank, and one of them is a 60k mile original that sat in the impound yard from 91 to 2005. My 87 and 88 both have this feature. Does anyone with an 85/86 have the full plastic cover around the fuel tank?
My 2/86 XR has the plastic tub as well as the PITA to re-install while lying on your back holding the tank up with your tongue rock guard.
--
Tim
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

grondie wrote: Joe, what's the build date on your car and does it have the center armrest hatch release button?
It has a 12/84 build date. It doesn't have a button there, but a blank plate where the button would go.
grondie wrote: Added: Full fuel tank cover 86
My fuel tank has a plastic shield the covers the front of the tank and about 4" or so of the underside. Not sure if that's the same cover you are talking about.
grondie
Administrator

Post by grondie »

hEaT wrote:
grondie wrote: Joe, what's the build date on your car and does it have the center armrest hatch release button?
It has a 12/84 build date. It doesn't have a button there, but a blank plate where the button would go.
grondie wrote: Added: Full fuel tank cover 86
My fuel tank has a plastic shield the covers the front of the tank and about 4" or so of the underside. Not sure if that's the same cover you are talking about.
The cut-off for the windows may have been around 12/84, as my white 85 is also a 12/84 build and the windows go all the way down.

For the fuel tank, they all have the rock-guard in the front that covers about 1/3 of the tank - the later cars have a full bath-tub style cover that covers the whole underside of the tank. I think we've narrowed that feature down to 86-89 only.

Here's the one on my 88

Bob in NJ

grondie
Administrator

Post by grondie »

Teedyo wrote:
grondie wrote:Good stuff folks!
Mike: Nether of my 85's have the plastic bath-tub around the gas tank, and one of them is a 60k mile original that sat in the impound yard from 91 to 2005. My 87 and 88 both have this feature. Does anyone with an 85/86 have the full plastic cover around the fuel tank?
My 2/86 XR has the plastic tub as well as the PITA to re-install while lying on your back holding the tank up with your tongue rock guard.
Thanks for that picture! :lol: I just replaced the in-tank pump in one of my cars and know exactly what you're talking about.. :cheers
Bob in NJ

grondie
Administrator

Post by grondie »

merkurdriver wrote:Front "pusher" fan redesigned in 88.

Cruise control computer box changed from early "card-style" connector to standard looking harness conector in 87.5
Added Pusher fan redesigned to 88

I wonder if the card-sytle was the dealer installed option and the standard when they started installing them in the factory?
Bob in NJ

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

grondie wrote:
I wonder if the card-sytle was the dealer installed option and the standard when they started installing them in the factory?
In a word, YES.

Also I've been looking at local 85's and asking folks with 85's around here and all of them have replied that they have the plastic cover on them.
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

My 09/87 build date '88 has the 150mph speedo but maintains the spatulas rather than the BBS style rims.

So I don't think the late 88 description for the 150mph speedo is quite accurate.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
grondie
Administrator

Post by grondie »

merkurdriver wrote:
grondie wrote:
In a word, YES.

Also I've been looking at local 85's and asking folks with 85's around here and all of them have replied that they have the plastic cover on them.
Wierd, I'd say that maybe it was just early 85's that didn't have them, but my gray car is a 5/85. Any other 85 owners out there want to chime in? There a pic of what we're talking about half-way down page 3 of the thread.
Bob in NJ

grondie
Administrator

Post by grondie »

turboplz wrote:My 09/87 build date '88 has the 150mph speedo but maintains the spatulas rather than the BBS style rims.

So I don't think the late 88 description for the 150mph speedo is quite accurate.
Jason, could yours have been upgraded by chance? We have another member with an early 88 that has the 85mph speedo and a confirmation from one of our vendors. Maybe it was hit-or-miss?
Bob in NJ

kyle

Post by kyle »

Did the mono wing not come mid year 87 or am I mistaken. I found what I remember as 7-8/87 mono white at a bone yard. Merkur on the hatch not the merkur emblem 85 mph cluster.
kyle

Post by kyle »

On my 6/85 only half the tank is protected with plastic all my 86's covered fully. Also all of my 86's had e-6 mani's 2 of which have been sitting since early to mid 90's. 91 and 94 and having met the previous owners I'm pretty sure they were untouched and assumed thats how they came.
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

I've also seen un- molested 88XRs w/ spatulas , but I can't recall the speedo.

'edited for screw-up.
turboplz wrote:My 09/87 build date '88 has the 150mph speedo but maintains the spatulas rather than the BBS style rims.

Last edited by jasonty on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"