Oil Separator, PCV, boost solenoid routing

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
popimor

Oil Separator, PCV, boost solenoid routing

Post by popimor »

Hi,
New here.
I received an XR4TI for free. Heh.
Here is the quick story.
The previous owner was having problems with too much pressure in the crankcase so he converted the car over to N/A with no turbo so he could have a daily driver.

I put the turbo and manifold back on and have discovered why I think he was having the problem.

- He had a PCV valve stuck in the spot at the back of the valve cover where there should have been the oil separator/breather.
- Where can I find one of these oil separators/breathers? I hear they are no longer available from ford...?

- Does someone have diagrams or pics showing stock routing for the oil separator and the PCV valve tubing?

- The boost solenoid was bypassed. Does someone have pics/diagrams of
The boost solenoid to turbo vacuum routing?

Thanks in advance.
The car is actually in alright shape, and was running before removal of the N/A setup...
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

No wonder it didn't run right :lol:

You're right about the breather on the valve cover. Your best bet is to find a good one used here, contact Blugg, Rapido, OPMD or another Merkur parts source. That breather draws vacuum from a hardline that is routed between the VAM and turbo inlet.

The stock PCV is on the right front of the motor and you can find it by following one of the large vacuum lines off the upper intake. Make sure you use a Motorcraft PCV for an SVO Mustang. Parts store brand ones don't cut it and you'll have the same problem as your previous owner.

I don't have the factory BCS routing, sorry. You can leave the BCS bypassed with no ill effects or just add in a boost controller and set it to the factory 15psi.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

There should bew a breather/separator on the valve cover, I'm not sure whether they are readily available or not. Early ones have the small hole the later (which may be easier to get??) have a bigger orifice, unless the ones I've seen with it have been retrofitted with say a Thunderbird turbo coupe maybe?

From the breather theres a hose that leads to a tube that bolts to the turbo inlet. If it's not there on the exhaust side of the valve cover then there should be a plug in the turbo inlet...if there's a hole there than get the plug as the car will NEVER run right...vacuum leaks are deadly the proper running of turbo cars.

If you live in a non eco/emissions area you can just take a length of hose 3 fett or so and put a cheap t-filter on the end of it and put it low in on a fender well or something...go to the parts # forum and get the turbo specific Ford/Motorcraft PCV and put it on the hose from the block seperator (btween the alt and the block) and the intake upper. If you dont have a tone of blow by it should do ok at stock boost levels.

And the boost solenoid is best left gone...if you use premium its fine.

Not sure if this will help

http://boostvalve.com/ford.html

Check around here 95% applies

http://www.turbotbird.com/FAQpage/FAQpage.htm

Bat has decent diagrams for the coolant lines, just scroll their catalog

http://64.202.180.37/files/xr4.pdf

http://www.fordturbo.com/pcv.html

http://www.fordturbo.com/faq.html

Check out the FAQ's here as well.

Good luck!
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
shaydawg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shaydawg »

IIRC they have aftermarket "universal" gm or ford oil seperators in the HELP! parts section of napa, carquest etc..if you are not sure what size to get measure the hole in the VC rubber grommet..you can get the rubber grommet from said parts section as well.
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - Daily Driver

2001 Ford Lightning - Toy
BadLeroyBrown

Re: Oil Separator, PCV, boost solenoid routing

Post by BadLeroyBrown »

Hey guys, long-time listener first-time caller here so please forgive my formatting ignorance. In regards to the bcs being bypassed or replaced with a MBC above, can I simply unplug bcs and swap with mbc? Or do I need to communicate my intent to the ECU in some way?
Thank you for your help

You guys always have car info down here so...
86 svo white 57k 0 mods all original at time of purchase
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

BadLeroyBrown wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:18 pm In regards to the bcs being bypassed or replaced with a MBC above, can I simply unplug bcs and swap with mbc? Or do I need to communicate my intent to the ECU in some way?
To try to better cover the bases than just giving a blanket answer, I'm going to say that it depends on how far you're planning to go and what other mods will be applied. In a typical scenario where the engine is remaining stock internally, keeping the stock turbo and simply raising the boost some with the MBC, I don't normally hear about any ECU mods or upgrades. The stock fuel tables tend to be very rich at high TPS and higher RPM values, so you're generally still OK even with the higher boost, an intercooler and better exhaust.

A wideband O2 sensor is still a good idea, so that you know exactly where your air/fuel ratio's at. An upgraded engine management system such as Megasquirt is great for optimizing the tune for the mods, but it's not a requirement for the basic upgrade of tweaking the max boost a bit.
Mark
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

BadLeroyBrown wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:18 pm Hey guys, long-time listener first-time caller here so please forgive my formatting ignorance. In regards to the bcs being bypassed or replaced with a MBC above, can I simply unplug bcs and swap with mbc? Or do I need to communicate my intent to the ECU in some way?
Thank you for your help

You guys always have car info down here so...
86 svo white 57k 0 mods all original at time of purchase
You can simply bypass the BCS and install manual controller. It is ok to turn up a little, but that is the issue, people turn it a little and get greedy and end up damaging things. Ideally you want an intercooler on it as well as the more you turn it up, the hotter it gets, which also causes damage.
BadLeroyBrown

Post by BadLeroyBrown »

Thank you for your help, I have the stock IC. I'm also having trouble locating the pcv. Does it look like a small metal coupler between hoses? And could that be the reason my turbo fins sound differently under boost pressure (they sound anemic)? I have lots of oil on the intake side of the throttle body chamber, and none on the turbo side, this to me suggests a faulty or removed pcv
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

BadLeroyBrown wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:21 pm Thank you for your help, I have the stock IC. I'm also having trouble locating the pcv. Does it look like a small metal coupler between hoses? And could that be the reason my turbo fins sound differently under boost pressure (they sound anemic)? I have lots of oil on the intake side of the throttle body chamber, and none on the turbo side, this to me suggests a faulty or removed pcv
On the turbo cars, you will pressurize the crankcase under boost and push out oil when the pcv is not doing it's job. That's why it is important to run the good motorcraft version. Also you don't want any vacuum leaks like mentioned above. You should be able to put it all back to stock pretty easily and for not a lot of money. I'd try to get the full factory shop manual free online someplace, then print out those pages you need for the job. I would go through the whole car and try to undo what the previous owner did. You don't see those cars very often and they are getting more and more valuable.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The PCV is in the larger vacuum hose near spark plug 1 behind the distributor cap.

Remove it, shoot it with brake cleaner liberally. Once cleaned, manually shake it to hear the metal.disc on the bottom end clearly make metallic contact with the body: that should indicate it will function properly on reinstallation.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!