My upgrade to Eaton LSD Differential

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My upgrade to Eaton LSD Differential

Post by In XS 7 »

I fix the gap on the side adjuster and the differential bearings but now I just find out that the differential case and the pinion gear touch each other :cry: , so,no LSD for me for...I don't know how long it gonna take me to figure out how to fix this problem and how much it gonna cost me,maybe will be better to find a differential with the 3:64 ratio and better pinion gear position :cry: , I hope somebody can help me with some tips like if I can take my differential box to a machine shop or if there is a place where I can get the pinion gear moved or machined, I don't know, I am sad, I just want to get it done, put many hours working on it, spending money on it and at the end find out that I can not finish it, well,for now, because I don't gonna stop till I get it ON the car and working right, I don't quit, I never quit,so it just gonna take longer then I was thinking,so be it. Thanks guys for all the help, I will find a solution and I will post again when I make some progress. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Like Ray said, you need to adjust the pinion gear depth which seems very common when using the 3.36 auto diff. You'll need a few special tools to do so, but it's not terrible. I gave Ray a hand when he set up the 3.36 diff coming from the 3.64.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Hey Joe, Do you have an idea of how much do this have to be moved in/down so I can tell a mechanic or machinist to do it for me? or, what kind of special tools are involve so I can give it a try? this is the first time I open a differential and I have no clue of what tools have to be use. thank you very much. :cheers
Miguel.
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I believe beyond the tools you need to setup the diff itself (the dial gauge) you'll also need a tool to work with the pinion. Ray would have a much better idea.

Unfortunately, there's no set spec to move it in and out. It's trial and error setting the height, just as it is setting the ring gear backlash.
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

In XS 7 wrote:Hey Joe, Do you have an idea of how much do this have to be moved in/down so I can tell a mechanic or machinist to do it for me? or, what kind of special tools are involve so I can give it a try? this is the first time I open a differential and I have no clue of what tools have to be use. thank you very much. :cheers
I should have read the whole thread because I didn't know you were doing a 3:36 or I would have told you the pitfalls of the 3:36 diff. You're going to need .010+ or less depends on your shim, so if you had a .050 shim you need to get from a diff shop thats .040 of less, the location of the shim is on the race inside the case, take the race out and install the new shim done.

The hardest part is going to find a new http://www.amazon.com/Crush-sleeve-elim ... B0078UC0QW anyways don't give up.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

The crush sleeve was one of the harder parts to find. The shim will have a number on it - you'll need to either get replacements or do what i did and steal them from another spare case. The pinion nut removal tool is a bit hard to find.

Use the shop manual for removal and torque specs. DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE PINION NUT.

Will have a longer reply when i'm not chasing two children.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
jjbmwm5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjbmwm5 »

Ive set up a few ford and gm straight axle rear diffs and used a crush sleeve eliminator I wonder if you can use one of these on our rear ends? I may be tearing mine apart and taking it to drive train specialties to find out. Also this looks like the carrier I put in my buddies late model circle track car are these chevy lsds?
1985 merkur. 3 inch, saab ic, building new engine, t-5, redw/raven black interior
1973 scout II 345 convertible top
2005 Saab 9-3 Aero full 3 inch, bsr intake and brew city boost stage 3
Stuck in ohio
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

jjbmwm5 wrote:Ive set up a few ford and gm straight axle rear diffs and used a crush sleeve eliminator I wonder if you can use one of these on our rear ends? I may be tearing mine apart and taking it to drive train specialties to find out. Also this looks like the carrier I put in my buddies late model circle track car are these chevy lsds?
Chevy S10 truck.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

I will post some progress on my differential swap tonight,thanks for all the help. :cheers
Last edited by In XS 7 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Hello guys, I just get another differential (from milehighXR a very nice guy and the price was great), this time is a 3:64 gear ratio from a 5 speed XR, I just took it apart and cleaned it a little, I have the ring gear mounted on the LSD diff. I will take some pics today and will post them tonight.
another question, on a dial indicator with 0 to 1" and divide with 10,20,30 ...90,etc, what is the value of each little line in between numbers? I wonder which one is for a thousands and which for ten thousands?
I was reading this at the mc2racing page:

You want to adjust the side carriers until your backlash is 0.0004",
You're basically smashing the diff between the adjusters during this operation (preloading the bearings), and you're increasing your backlash a little. Now remeasure your backlash. The backlash should be 0.004"-0.006".
Thank you guys. :cheers
Miguel.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

indiv marks are thou - the spots in btwn are ten-thou.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

Where did you get your lsd? Im looking to pick one up
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Ray wrote:indiv marks are thou - the spots in btwn are ten-thou.
:thumb Thank you Ray, very helpful info. :notworthy :cheers
Miguel.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Juggernaut wrote:Where did you get your lsd? Im looking to pick one up

I got it from mc2racing it is an Eaton LSD, very nice quality,brand new,great price and they supply everything you need including customer support, I don't think you will find an LSD like this one cheaper.
http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti ... index.html :cheers
Miguel.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Another question, when I put the stainless tape on the side stubs they have to go in a little tight but mines went in very easy not tight at all, they just went in with out any effort, it's that ok or I have to add more tape to them? ( I used all the tape that came with the kit). :cheers
Miguel.