XR4Ti 302 V8 swap

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Re: XR4Ti 302 V8 swap

Post by nathankershaw »

Did a bit of a mod on the throttle pedal as well.

The mustang cable is slightly longer so a little creative thinking was needed.

1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

So this is going to be the final resting place for the rad......well until I get through the BAR test, then I can start messing with it.

I have 5 1/4" clearance now between the water pump pulley and the rad, the fans are around 3 1/2" so, happy days!

1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Got the fans mounted and the cradle in the "paintshop"

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Went shopping at the scrap yard today for an auxiliary belt tensioner as I need to run the smog pump but no A/C.

Found this on an early 80's Mustang V8

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Frustrating day today. All little bits that I have put off doing now need to be done, it felt like it was one step forward and two steps back.

Got the tensioner fitted though.

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

No update, just felt like taking a pic!

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

nathankershaw wrote:Frustrating day today. All little bits that I have put off doing now need to be done, it felt like it was one step forward and two steps back.
I know that feeling. It feels like it takes 80% of the time to do the final 20% of any custom project.
Brad
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
nathankershaw wrote:Frustrating day today. All little bits that I have put off doing now need to be done, it felt like it was one step forward and two steps back.
I know that feeling. It feels like it takes 80% of the time to do the final 20% of any custom project.
Yeah little bits of wiring are the slow bits now. Then take it all out and make it look pretty.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Went down today and met Brett (GRVE66) and got a few goodies. He is an awesome guy with such a nice car that met an unfortunate end.

The exhaust that will be stored until after the BAR test.

and these compression struts. These may come in handy if the BAR say my CATS are too far away from the manifolds, as right now the sway bar gets in the way.

One's bent which will need fixing.

Took my wife for a quick spin around the block tonight. It was awesome span the tires and the homemade driveshaft is holding up as of now, that's a finger crossed situation! lol!
She's was a combination of freaked out she could see the floor through the tranny tunnel and happy with what I had done.
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

I offered up the front end.

I'm going to make my own bumper brackets to keep weight down.

well.....it all fits.....or at least it will!

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Did a little bit today.

With the V8 being a little heavier I waned to keep some weight off the frone so I chopped the top section out of the Jetta bumper crossmember and welded it to my crossmember.
The sides are seeing some ziptie action for now until I feel like making some brackets.

I also made an adapter so my after market water temp gauge can go in the small thermostat water hoses.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

did you pressure check those welds?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Ray wrote:did you pressure check those welds?
No not pressure checked.

Thats actually not the issue right now. The probe itself isn't seating down so isn't pushing back and sealing against the outer lock ring.
I didn't know it had to!
Learn something new everyday!

Did a little bit more

soldered in a CEL to where the brake pad warning light used to be, I need to get a symbol now and stick it in place.

Dash is back in

And front is on

nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

Ok. I'm relenting and fitting short accessories.

I know the smog pump is the same.

I need the brackets and alternator.

I know the steering pump Is the same, but is the pulley different or does the bracket move it back? So do I need the bracket and pulley?

Do I need the later harmonic balancer and crank pulley?

Thanks for any info.