Building G in 2010

* Merkur 25th Anniversary * Topics related to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2010.

Moderators: DPDISXR4Ti, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
MagentaRed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MagentaRed »

The building is not air conditioned. Note the open windows and the wide open garage doors. There were electric fans, probably brought in by the GT guys.

I believe there is a restroom.

I didn't go into the basement. I don't think we'll have access to it. Not sure we'd want it.

The parking area is huge. There weren't that many Ford GTs to display, so FORD was using the lot for promotional reasons. But as Brad said, they filled that lot with Boss Stangs a few years ago.

My Merkur signs are two 7 foot outdoor panels. I got rid of the frame years ago. Assuming I can get them to Carlisle, we can figure a way to affix them to the building.

We did a Merkurabilia display at the dinner in 05. A bunch of us brought stuff to display. Doing it again is not a problem. Security might be a problem, so a display case would be nice to have.

As far as not being on the showfield, I don't see a problem. Every year we are surrounded by other groups an I never vist any of them. I hit the flea market and the vendor aisles, and Buildings T & Y, but I rarely venture into other car groups. Doesn't matter to me if anyone comes to visit us in Bldg. It's OUR party! Think of it as a private party in a public setting. If you heard the way some of these people talk about our Merkurs, you wouldn't want them around anyway.

There are still a lot of details to work through, but I hope we can pull it off.

Scott
Scott Williams
Roseland, New Jersey
1989 Merkur Scorpio, Strato Silver Auto-Flex High Gloss Coating, euro headlamps, euro tail lamps, custom wheels
2019 Ford Flex SEL, AWD, SYNC3, Pwr. Liftgate, Premium Audio
2014 Ford Flex SEL, AWD, Towing, Appearance Pkg.
2000 Volvo SE, Our Florida Car
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

oh that reminds me. the gt guy did say there was a 24 hour guard there. but i don't know if that was just because of the value of the gt's or if they always have a guard.
ian the re-animator
jeffmerkur

Post by jeffmerkur »

How are you going to decide who parks in the building?

First come, first serve? Or maybe a selection/ voting process?

Each year gets to pick 10 cars?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jeffmerkur wrote:How are you going to decide who parks in the building?

Definately NOT first come, first serve. :beats head

That will be determined with Carlisle's guidance and our input. Cars of greater interest will certainly have preference. So, if someone wants a pretty good shot at being in there, go purchase Rick Brynes' car. :twisted:
Brad
darkangel26

Post by darkangel26 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
jeffmerkur wrote:How are you going to decide who parks in the building?

Definately NOT first come, first serve. :beats head

That will be determined with Carlisle's guidance and our input. Cars of greater interest will certainly have preference. So, if someone wants a pretty good shot at being in there, go purchase Rick Brynes' car. :twisted:

once we know more info about this i think voting for what cars to be inside would be a good idea!!!!! Give everyone a shot who wants in! :wink:
Alicia
89 Merkur Scorpio
Merkur

Post by Merkur »

We should possibly use the award history over the past few years as one of the criteria to decide. If a car is worthy enough of an award, it should be considered - with the exception of the Rat-Rod Award!

Paul
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Just based on the map of the fairgrounds, it looks as though you wouldn't have to register to get direct access to Bldg. G or the parking area behind it. :P

The map shows restrooms right next to the building.

FWIW, in my 30 years+/- of going to Carlisle events, I've never paid anything more than a passing glance at what was in or next to Building G. It always just seemed "outside" of the fairgrounds proper where most interest of evenrt-goers is focused, for better or worse. As well, Gate 1 is pedestrian access only--meaning for people who park outside the fairgrounds--so those entering in cars via Gates 2 and 3 (is there a Gate 4?) won't see the Merkur gathering unless they seek it out on foot later.

OTOH, if the weather turns nasty, or hot/humid, Building G might be seen as a savior.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
86XR4Ti5SPD
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 86XR4Ti5SPD »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: we're mostly there for "us". I don't think any of us are counting on a bunch of Mustang or Fairlane guys stopping by to make the weekend a success for us.
Agree strongly with Brad on this...99% of anyone else there could care less about our Merks. And -- especially for upcoming Carlisle first timers like me -- it sounds like this building setting will provide a more focused area to meet/talk to other Merkheads during show hours and more easily enjoy their cars.
Ed, Nashville
98 SVT Cobra, 1-owner 33K-mile convertible bought 8/15
86 5-spd, Solid Roof, sold 9/15 with 62K miles
03 SVTF #1965 of 3985, sold 9/15 with 68K miles
http://www.86xr4ti5spd.homestead.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Just based on the map of the fairgrounds, it looks as though you wouldn't have to register to get direct access to Bldg. G or the parking area behind it. :P
It IS Carlisle Events property, so you will need to be registered to get your CAR there, just like the "regular" part of the show-field. It is however freely open to pedestrian traffic. It was a conscious decision by Carlisle to leave it that way - give someone who was "on the fence" about attending a freebie look of what's inside the gates.
Brad
Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster »

Merkur wrote:We should possibly use the award history over the past few years as one of the criteria to decide. If a car is worthy enough of an award, it should be considered - with the exception of the Rat-Rod Award!

Paul
mca or field awards?
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Rooster wrote:mca or field awards?
Yes. :lol:
Brad
Rob MacDonald

Bldg G Info - What Ian and I heard from GT owner

Post by Rob MacDonald »

As Ian Mentioned he and I spoke to the Pete that has the GT here at our local Sunday Cruise- In. He really didn't enjoy being stuck in that building, and once your car is in there you can't take it out until the show is over......So, no cruising around town and back and forth to the hotel, etc, etc........
I don't know if Carlisle Events had mentioned that to you guys. since 1/2 the fun is touring the countryside

Rob
Rob MacDonald '87 XR4ti Rosso Red 5 spd
3" Exhaust
MCA - Best in Show Carlisle 2002, 2004
XR4Ti - Stock Class
Carlilse Productions - First Place Stock 2004
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The reasons against Building G are more than the reasons for it.

Carlisle clearly thinks it's conferring a prestigious honor on those to whom it offers Building G. On balance, that "deal" seems more tilted in Carlisle's favor, as in What Else Could They Do With That Building (answer: very little).

Carlisle should consider offering a couple of large--really large--tents for use on the showfield at the standard club location as an alternative.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Rooster wrote:mca or field awards?
Yes. :lol:
that didnt help brad
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Bldg G Info - What Ian and I heard from GT owner

Post by fastmaul »

Rob MacDonald wrote:As Ian Mentioned he and I spoke to the Pete that has the GT here at our local Sunday Cruise- In. He really didn't enjoy being stuck in that building, and once your car is in there you can't take it out until the show is over......So, no cruising around town and back and forth to the hotel, etc, etc........
I don't know if Carlisle Events had mentioned that to you guys. since 1/2 the fun is touring the countryside

Rob
That right there for "me" would be the biggest turn off about parking in that building. I drive to Carlisle to show it off and to drive it around, not drive it and leave it parked for 3 days, and ride "bitch" in someone's car (I already did that since 05 lol). If we could park the cars there and take them out later that evening it would be great. How about, Park the cars enjoy the showfield, have the MCA Cocktail hour closed off to us and when it's over we drive back to the hotel and/or to the MerkurSport dinner/food/hang out then back to the hotel? Just a thought. :)
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607