Wheel bearings..XR and Scorpio (and Cosworth)

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Wheel bearings..XR and Scorpio (and Cosworth)

Post by Chuck W »

Ok..I did some searching and while I found info for the XR stuff, all I found when looking for the Scorpio or Cossie was a bit of arguing and unanswered questions.

Here's what I'm looking for....facts and part numbers for the XR, Scorpio and Cossies. I don't want "Well I heard this, or that"... or any other hearsay. Actual facts only please.

Let's make this a useful post for posterity and end any confusion :idea:

Let's hear it :D
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

I know someone has this info...be helpful..share....

XR

Front
Bearing: Timken - set24
Seal: Timken - 3743 (triple lip)

Rear
Bearing: Timken - set24
Seal: Timken - 2 x 3743 (triple lip)

Scorpio

Front
Bearing: Timken - ?
Seal: Timken - ?

Rear
Bearing: Timken - set24 (Admin Edit: this information has been determined to be incorrect)
Seal: Timken - 536810XX (single lip?)

Cossie

Front
Bearing: ?
Seal: ?

Rear
Bearing: ?
Seal: ?
Last edited by Chuck W on Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Here's what I can share... The Timken 3743 is a tripple lip seal, and obviously only one is needed for the front. I was under the impression that the same seal was used (x2) for the rear, but I may very well be incorrect on that. The bearings front&rear are indeed the same, despite several of the catalogs indicating otherwise.

My understanding is that the Scorpio and Cossie use the same (larger than XR) bearings, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge here to verify this as fact. These bearings seem to be relatively "rare" and 2 to 3X more expensive than the much more common "set 24" bearings, so I've kinda talked myself out of machining XR knuckles for these larger bearings.
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Chuck,

Check with Anglin, I sent him a set of Scorp front hubs some months back that he was planning to use on his XR. I assuming he took them apart, hopefully he noted the bearings while he was in there...

Jake
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Freejack wrote:Chuck,

Check with Anglin, I sent him a set of Scorp front hubs some months back that he was planning to use on his XR. I assuming he took them apart, hopefully he noted the bearings while he was in there...

Jake
I'm hoping he'll check in here.....
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Freejack wrote:Check with Anglin, I sent him a set of Scorp front hubs some months back that he was planning to use on his XR. I assuming he took them apart, hopefully he noted the bearings while he was in there...

Jake
Not to drift too far off-topic, but using the Scorp knuckle on the XR is not really viable as I had once thought. The ANGLE of the strut receiver is different between the XR and Scorpio, so it just won't line up right. If you want to discuss further, best to start a new thread - let's not pollute this one.
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Chuck,

Here's some good information from the Beck/Arnley Parts Catalog:

Front Scorpio Bearings: 051-4082
Rear Scorpio Bearings: 051-4052

No seal numbers listed

Front XR4Ti Bearings: 051-3958
Rear XR4Ti Bearings: 051-3958

Only Rear Seal listed: 051-3420

Hope that helps
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

So the Scorp does use different bearings front/rear than the XR?
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

According to Beck/Arnley, but I think the only way we will really confire is if someone takes apart a set of Scorpio hubs.

That said, I'm not sure they are completely right, there have been people who swapped the rear hubs without changing the bearings out.

Jake
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

How about the bearing/seal info guys? :lol:
Morgan
Level 2
Level 2

Part #

Post by Morgan »

I haven't seen any correct numbers for Scorpio bearings or any where to buy the few obscure numbers produced on this thread therefore I saved my money for a couple months and went with BAT.
Last edited by Morgan on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 XR4Ti - Megasquirt n EDIS, Big IC, full 3" exhuast, Toyota 8" LSD, Spax adj. susp., RX-7 front hubs, RX-7 Brakes.
87 XR4Ti - Stock auto daily driver
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Chuck W wrote:I'm hoping he'll check in here.....
Who me?

I've just been doing some asking around for Scorpio bearing information myself. I'm trying to do the 5-lug conversion the way that Brad wants to avoid - by machining the XR spindles to accept the Scorpio bearings and unmachined hubs.

Terry Watson has done some PN digging into the wheel bearings for the Scorpio application and was kind enough to share the info with me. The PNs are for SKF bearings. Theoretically, the should be as readily accessible as Timken bearings. We'll see if this pans out the way I'm hoping. Here are the PNs for a variety of wheel bearings, along with dimensions and seal PNs and so forth (not all PNs are SKF PNs):

-------------------

Merkur Wheel Bearing Sizes, From Russ at Rapido:

XR4Ti Front & Rear:
OD: 2.37"
ID: 1.365"

Scorpio Front:
OD: 2.485"
ID: 1.485"

Scorpio Rear:
OD: 2.685"
ID: 1.605"

Cossie Front bearing measurements, measured by me:
ID: 1.489" measured
OD: 2.480" measured
Outer Race: 0.531" high
Inner Race: 0.747" high

Part # (as pulled from car): SKF F K-JL 69310-2B-VQ060
Seal # (as pulled from car): 85GB –1190 – AA
Per SKF: Bearing replaced by: LB T1B 332821- CVQ060, available from Rapido, same as Scorpio front bearings.

Part # (as supplied by Rapido):
Outers:
SKF BT1B 332821 C/Q Germany 00283T
SKF BT1B 332821 C/Q Germany 00272U

Inners:
SKF BT1B 332821 B A/Q Germany L W41T
SKF BT1B 332821 B A/Q Germany L W39U

----------------

So, that's where we are at right now. Of course, I don't want to convert to Cosworth/Scorpio front bearings if it means I'm going to have to cough up $90 per side to BAT. That's painful when XR wheel bearings are 1/3 that cost through us (mc²racing).
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Thanks Chris-

BTW....what are those last 4 SKF part numbers for? Bearings?, Races? Sets? Fronts? Rears?
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Chuck W wrote:... what are those last 4 SKF part numbers for? Bearings?, Races? Sets? Fronts? Rears?
That's a darn good question to which I have no answer. I'll drop Terry a note to see what he says about it.
www.mc2racing.com
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

anglin wrote:I'll drop Terry a note to see what he says about it.
Terry says the mystery PNs are copied directly off a set of inner and outer Scorpio front wheel bearing races as supplied from Rapido.
www.mc2racing.com