rack rebuilding or replacing?

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: rack rebuilding or replacing?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

James Wieler wrote:I took my rack out this evening, I think I'm screwed as there is some major pitting on the rack gears. The rack worked great (except for the leaking).
I have a feeling that this may be a common problem. I recall several years back when I ordered a rebuilt rack from Jorgen they had to go through several ZF cores before getting one that they felt was useable. The TRW cores didn't have the same problem so they were really trying to convince me to go with one of those but I was set on the ZF.

BTW, great thread - it will get cleaned up and go in the FAQ when complete.

Note, Rotunda tool kit TKit-1987-MER is often available on eBay and it's specifically for rebuilding this rack. Not sure if it would help much - it would appear it's certainly not essential.

Joe- Is your thread for rebuilding the TRW stand-alone or part of your overall project thread?
Brad
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

I think the rebuild kit would solve my leaking issue (as far as I can tell those surfaces are smooth) but I don't know about the pitting on the teeth.
I need to talk to a rebuilder....
thanks
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

I don't know he far you want to go with this, Rally Design in England sells a quick 2.7 rack & pinion.

So that would replace the specific parts your having the issue with.

I think they're about 90 pounds that's before shipping obviously.
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Joe- Is your thread for rebuilding the TRW stand-alone or part of your overall project thread?
Brad, here's my thread separate from my build:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22792

While not geared at a rebuild, it does show the rack coming apart.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

And my $0.03, re: the notchy query, earlier in the thread...
Drain and flush several times, drive a bit between repeats. To drain, just disconnect the low-pressure hose ot the back of the pump, and run it dry. Use cheap-o ATF.
After a few flushes, drain, then add a bottle of Lucas PS additive, top off with SYNTHETIC ATF.
Enjoy smooth steering, no notches, quieter operation, and often, no leaks. Cost, around 1 hour, and $20.
Add a cooler, almost any thing will do, again on the low pressure side, for extra points.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Well it has been a month sense I installed the rack and all was going well until a week ago when the power steering pump started screaming at me so I do the quick check under the car and what do i see power steering fluid coming coming from the boots, take them off and fluid is pouring from both ends of the rack (this is the reason I tried to do the rebuild) so I guess I am back to square 1. I think I am just going to try and find a new rack
Rob
88 XR4Ti Stock, Daily Driver
88 XR4Ti Lightly Modified.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

that sucks Rob, do you think the rack was too pitted to keep a good seal?
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Yeah, sorry to hear. I'm on 4 rebuilds now with no issues (on 4 cars, not 4 rebuilds on the same car) :lol:
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Kudos to all of you who rebuild them successfully yourselves...

However, as my car is my daily, and I don't have the time or resources to do that, rack rebuilding is one of those things I just pay for. Our trusty vendors here have some reasonable deals, and you may even live where such services are offered.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

After a failed attempt at rebuild i am going to depower the rack. Anyone know what the fitting at the pump is? I dont wanna cut anything as I will go back to power steering at some point, but for now the car needs to be drivable.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Sales pitch time! No, not really.

I switched the fluid in mine from Type F to Valvoline Max Life Dex Merk ATF and the weeping stopped. I changed the rack in my Taurus and it was weeping from install with BG synthetic in it from the installer. I used a turkey baster, three or four rounds of remove and fill with Max Life and the seals sealed and the system is dry. Don"t add anything to the fluid as it might inhibit the additives in the Max Life from doing its' job. It worked for me twice now. YMMV

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I'm a believer in (all) LubeGard products:

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-20404-U ... 8043&psc=1

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Yes, they make good chemicals. The power steering additive they make will quiet a noisy pump quite well and the ATF additives will make an auto transmission run cooler.. The additive for oil makes the cam chains in my Taurus run almost silent when it normally sounds like a sewing machine in a good way. With that said, the ATF Max Life did indeed stop the racks leaking for me twice.

Cheers
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Thanks guys, I'll give the Valvoline Max life DEX/MERC a try, before I depower the rack. I have a bottle of lucas power steering additive too. Wife would really like her car back, and I don't blame her, but I wouldn't mind making the XR more reliableer too :lol:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

It is only a suggestion but it is best to use the Max Life straight without other stuff while it is doing the seal conditioning. If it succeeds then later add Lube Gard to it as a finishing touch. The only purpose for the Lucas stuff is to be slow to drain out as it is like molasses. It was something I unsuccessfully tried when the Taurus rack was failing at only 22 years old!

YMMV

Of course when lower elevation is included there is more air pressure trying to keep the fluids in the rack! lol

Cheers