It's not a Scorpio

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

It's not a Scorpio

Post by thesameguy »

I saw this in my rearview on the way to work today .... at first I thought it was a Scorpio but quickly realized it was an even more rare, goofy 5-door...

lol?
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: It's not a Scorpio

Post by john keefe »

Honda/Sterling? Rims kinda' look decent on that body style
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yep, Sterling 827 "powered by Acura." ;)

I think they made these for only a couple years - '89 and '90 or something. This car was completely debadged so I don't know the trim, and I couldn't see the interior. Someone clearly loves this car - the wheels, the clean body, rotors were slotted and calipers painted. I kinda wanna find the owner! I don't think I've seen a Sterling much less an 827 in 20 years!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

I thought way back then that it was a Scorpio knock-off styling, but with more "square cut" accent lines. Kinda' like the larger Tesla sedan is a conglomeration knock-off of bits and pieces of better, high-end cars. But, the Scorpio rear quarter and hatch treatment were much nicer, more "haunchy." Now, I'm re-convinced of it. Still, that's a pretty good looking car, especially 30 years later.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

The Scorpio was definitely the better looking car. The Sterling is quite busy and a bit disjoint - maybe the result of British people putting their spin on a Japanese car. ;) But, it is distinctive... that's for sure. I'm thinking this must be a relatively later car or maybe a higher-end version, as it doesn't have the goofy black bumpers and/or trim the lesser models had. Remember when lower MSRP meant non-painted trim? Man, those were the days. I know the 827 was available with a manual transmission, but I think those were even *more* rare.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

It's not a Scorpio, and it's not quite an Acura Legend either. If they made an adventure themed sedan (think audi allroad) with roof racks and Range Rover badges I bet it would have done well. Maybe some extra ground clearance. Also Honda had some all wheel drive stuff back then so that could have been a possibility. Just look at success of Subaru. I suppose they thought futuristic delorean type cars were the future. 20/20 hindsight.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Kinda' the Euro Scorpio headlight and hood treatment, but a little clunky. There must be something wrong with that hood, or the recessing of the headlights. But, I remember quite a few articles back then which really liked the Sterling, with (IIRC) better appointments than the upscale Legend.
peterr991

Post by peterr991 »

Yes, Sterling 827 "powered by Acura." ;)
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

It is a long time since I have seen one but I want to think they were a Honda Rover hybrid or something like that???

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I checked and my memory of them was accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_(car)

I test drove them when they were new and decided I liked other things better than them for the money. I was also suspicious of anything Rover as they had a poor history in USA for after service.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Guy in my car club owned a Sterling back in the day.
He must've gotten the good one. Says it was a really nice car and he didn't have any problems with it at all.

Met its end when his daughter crashed it.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I forgot about this thread, but the intervening time I actually met the owner of the car.... I caught him having two more delivered. Now there are three all sitting next to each other. Apparently one is a driver, one is being restored, and the third is a parts car. That said, none of them have moved in a long time.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

thesameguy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:04 pmApparently one is a driver, one is being restored, and the third is a parts car. That said, none of them have moved in a long time.
A driver that hasn't moved in a long time could be an oxymoron...
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers