Thinking of an old friend...

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Thinking of an old friend...

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

My main career has been in consumer electronics sales, marketing and manufacturing in USA and in Asia with global responsibilities in a couple of great companies. Presently I am busy otherwise but spent decades in CE and enjoyed a good career and many friends and professional working relationships with others that were all over the place from US to Europe and Asia.

My home office in the '90's was in Tokyo for a long period and we were manufacturing high end audio and audio video gear. As a part of that we were THX certified for our home theater gear. With that being said we had visits from THX and Dolby Labs engineers and others as a regular feature of our work. I met many very sharp and interesting people in the industry as a result of that career position many of whom became friends as well as business associates. As a college student I was an exchange student to Sophia University in Japan and then was working there in the late '80's briefly and again in the '90's. As a side effect of that much exposure to the culture I became fairly fluent in Japanese. When visitors from US or Europe came to visit it was one of my functions to wine and dine them and be a translator if needed. Good people; great times; good memories are all there in that period for me.

As an early riser I was reading the news this morning about 5 AM Central time and noted a death of an old friend from that time. We hadn't talked in years of course as he has been busy in entertainment in the last ten to fifteen years and I have been out of that industry since 2011 or so. It still struck me as a sad and sobering thing for someone that was interesting and great to be around to die at what I feel to be a young age of 49. It might be easy for some to guess who I am thinking about: Grant Imahara.

VAYA CON DIOS, old friend.

Cheers all
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Thinking of an old friend...

Post by eaton53 »

My dad had a brain aneurysm in his early 40's and probably would've died except he and my mom just happened to be on vacation in Chicago.
Their hotel was just a couple of blocks from Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers