T5 tips

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brandonb

T5 tips

Post by brandonb »

I dropped the T5 thats in my 85 because the clutch wasn’t working and adjusting my firewall adjuster & the cable underneath did nothing. Turns out the 4 cyl bell housings have linkage and an arm that has bearings pressed in it. It rides on a shaft that’s pressed into the bell. First time I’ve ever had one apart and I could not find any information on the bearings anywhere online. Tim Spencer gave me some info for a bearing that’s identical but for MTD mowers. You can find them on eBay. Replacing part numbers:
941-0404, 741-0404
I installed a new spec clutch and I’m hoping to put the trans back in this weekend. To be able to make it to Carlisle

Not sure if I’m using Photobucket correctly but uploaded some pictures for reference. I post pictures on my Instagram sometimes. @Forcedfour
https://app.photobucket.com/u/brandonbu ... 4457965478

Two other tips. I used the paper towel/grease method to remove the old pilot bearing. I hate doing it lol I’ve done it before, it does work but you need to beat something into it that’s close to the same size. The input shaft is smaller for 4 cylinders so 3/8 sockets don’t really fit. I used a 10mm 1/4 drive deepwell and then an adapter with a 3/8 extension to give me something bigger to hit.
Also, I did the rear main seal and found a piece of pvc that was some kind of threaded 4” adapter to get the seal pressed the whole way in around the crank
85 xr4ti intercooled, T5, Eaton lsd
85 GT mustang 351/Upr suspension
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: T5 tips

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Can't use PB for photos here.

See FAQ on uploading of photos.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brandonb

Post by brandonb »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:56 pm Can't use PB for photos here.

See FAQ on uploading of photos.

YMMV
My mistake I thought Photobucket was the way. On a side note I think you were one of the few that made it out to the farm in Wv with hoarded merkurs? I wish I had taken more pictures but I have a few and thought about posting them. I ended up buying 5 xrs trying to save them because the rest were scrapped
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brandonb wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:08 pm I dropped the T5 thats in my 85 because the clutch wasn’t working and adjusting my firewall adjuster & the cable underneath did nothing. Turns out the 4 cyl bell housings have linkage and an arm that has bearings pressed in it. It rides on a shaft that’s pressed into the bell. First time I’ve ever had one apart and I could not find any information on the bearings anywhere online. Tim Spencer gave me some info for a bearing that’s identical but for MTD mowers. You can find them on eBay. Replacing part numbers:
941-0404, 741-0404
Good info on that bearing. I think that is actually often the cause of the broken "dog-bone" cable due to the additional force required when that bearing is failing (as it often is on a 30+ year-old part).

Is your MCA membership current? If so, you get free direct photo upload rights so that you don't have to use a 3rd party like Photobucket.

If you're going to Carlisle, you'll certainly want your MCA membership current prior to the show.

Just drop me an offline message.
Brad
brandonb

Post by brandonb »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:55 am
brandonb wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:08 pm I dropped the T5 thats in my 85 because the clutch wasn’t working and adjusting my firewall adjuster & the cable underneath did nothing. Turns out the 4 cyl bell housings have linkage and an arm that has bearings pressed in it. It rides on a shaft that’s pressed into the bell. First time I’ve ever had one apart and I could not find any information on the bearings anywhere online. Tim Spencer gave me some info for a bearing that’s identical but for MTD mowers. You can find them on eBay. Replacing part numbers:
941-0404, 741-0404
Good info on that bearing. I think that is actually often the cause of the broken "dog-bone" cable due to the additional force required when that bearing is failing (as it often is on a 30+ year-old part).

Is your MCA membership current? If so, you get free direct photo upload rights so that you don't have to use a 3rd party like Photobucket.

If you're going to Carlisle, you'll certainly want your MCA membership current prior to the show.

Just drop me an offline message.
I think you're right it probably puts stress on the dogbone cable. Yeah I'm hoping to go and hopefully don't jinx it if I get a membership lol. I did get the trans in and went for a short test ride. Speedo still doesn't work which is disappointing