Tachometer Repair

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Tachometer Repair

Post by brokencase »

I am in the process of upgrading the speedo and tach on the Triumph GT6 I am restoring.

There is a new approach for gauge retro-fitting that I thought you folks might find interesting. This is more involved but is suitable when the original gauge is non repairable or otherwise problematic.

You use these little X27,X25 168 stepper motors and totally replace the tach (or speedo) mechanism.
https://www.amazon.com/cciyu-Universal- ... B075GK9NBH

These little stepper motors can be directly driven by a small Arduino, like a Pro Micro or an ESP32. The motors can sweep 315 degrees max @ 3 steps per degree.

There is a library available to drive these motors here
https://github.com/clearwater/SwitecX25

In the case of the speedometer it gets interesting. For the GT6 I am making a GPS based speedometer. This is similar to the GPS gauges that Speedhut.com sells. The difference is that in my case I am keeping the original look of the gauges.

I am using an inexpensive Neo 6 gps module along with two .91" OLED displays for the odometer and tripodometer.
These along with an Arduino Pro micro, and a small buck converter to make 5v from 12v. I ran a length of USB cable to a little case that hold the GPS module so I can place it in an optimal location in the car.

Coding for the GPS speedometer is more involved but the tachometer case is much easier.

I have not done the tach yet but my plan was to use a small opto-isolator to interface the tach signal from the car to the Arduino and I would probably just adapt some pre-existing tachometer code and merge in the stepper motor stuff.
Specialization is for Insects
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Tachometer Repair

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

PM me if interested in a parts car GT-6. My friend has some old Brit stuff sitting around in MO.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic