Anyone else have an Oxford Blue interior car?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
EllieG

Anyone else have an Oxford Blue interior car?

Post by EllieG »

Mostly just curious, since they seem to be really rare. Ours isn't perfect - cracked dash and a couple split seams (some fixed since photos), but I really love the color and especially the seat and door patterns. Photos attached - first is from the dealership since they show the interior well and there's some stuff packed in the backseat right now:

Been hoping to find a replacement dash, but don't think it's going to happen, so some day down the line I'm just going to get it repaired and reupholstered. Seats need a tiny bit of work but some sewing and they'll be basically good as new. The fabric itself has aged beautifully.
1985 Mineral Blue Automatic
mfks

Re: Anyone else have an Oxford Blue interior car?

Post by mfks »

Looks good for a 37 year old car. I haven’t seen any with a blue interior like that. The dashes really make them look a bit shabby. Is there a company that repairs or repops these these dashes? I’d sure love to have mine cleaned up.
Chris
88 xr4ti
Northern Illinois
EllieG

Post by EllieG »

Also just a general update - me and my wife bought this car back in June and absolutely adore it. Put a good deal of money to do some maintenance, and some repairs after a fender bender (a panel hammered out, some paint, and some trim on the driver side), and some brake and catalytic trouble. But man is the car lovable. 6000 miles this year so far and slated for more. Moving out to the southwest at the end of the month and going to have a house with a proper garage for the first time, so planning on doing some modest upgrades soon. Some Bilsteins, maybe rear disc conversion or aluminum radiator, maybe Sierra headlights. If anyone has some general quality of life stuff they'd recommend doing, I'd love to hear it.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

I just saw your post where you mention buying the XR a few months ago. The MCA has a offer for a FREE 1 year membership to new owners of Merkurs.
Here's the link
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=30034

Also, here's the link to introduce yourself and your XR
http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Bob
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ya pretty rare. You ever think about doing the whole dash flocking thing? Lots of dash repair vids on youtube. I have also seen dash covers that look pretty close to original, hard to tell it didn't come that way unless you look closely. Next to impossible to find a nice early dash, hard to even find a nice late dash.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

What if you find a good dash in a color not grey, you could dye/fabric paint is to match?
mfks

Post by mfks »

I’ve watched some of those videos on dash repair. The whole process regardless of the one chosen seems very very tedious. I don’t think I have it in me. I thought I remember a company that repaired dashes, the name escapes me right now. I’m not near the phase of interior repair on my car. Maybe by the time I am someone else will have found a solution that’s low cost, high quality with a simple drop off pickup option.
Chris
88 xr4ti
Northern Illinois
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

This person in NJ has blue seats for sale. Too bad you live on the other side of the country.
Craigslist Auto Parts
"Merkur XR4TI Parts Moorestown NJ"
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/ ... 13205.html
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
EllieG

Post by EllieG »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:18 pm Ya pretty rare. You ever think about doing the whole dash flocking thing? Lots of dash repair vids on youtube. I have also seen dash covers that look pretty close to original, hard to tell it didn't come that way unless you look closely. Next to impossible to find a nice early dash, hard to even find a nice late dash.
I have thought of it! It's not quite the same as the blue leather look, but something I've been considering ever since Donut put out a video on it
andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:22 am This person in NJ has blue seats for sale. Too bad you live on the other side of the country.
Craigslist Auto Parts
"Merkur XR4TI Parts Moorestown NJ"
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/ ... 13205.html
That is a shame - seats look good. But I'm okay with just re-sewing the fabric ourselves. Funny thing is the passenger heated seat works but not the driver, not sure if there's a repair method for that.
Bob Weir wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:56 am I just saw your post where you mention buying the XR a few months ago. The MCA has a offer for a FREE 1 year membership to new owners of Merkurs.
Here's the link
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=30034

Also, here's the link to introduce yourself and your XR
http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
Sounds good! Second link might be broken though, it seems to just redirect to general discussion
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

That blue cloth is unique to (select) 1985 cars only. The "window pane" cloth is unique to 1985 cars only and is mostly light gray. Blue came in select cars with blue exterior. Pretty rare blue interior.