XR4ti rear disc with Scorpio calipers

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

XR4ti rear disc with Scorpio calipers

Post by my8950 »

I know this is nothing new.
Since I have a Scorpio for parts, I'm wondering, what rear disc is being used with this setup?
2008-ish Focus?

Thanks!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: XR4ti rear disc with Scorpio calipers

Post by my8950 »

Also, I'm assuming the Scorpio E-Brake cable will work on the XR with Scorpio rear calipers?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Info and parts for putting Scorpio rear calipers on the XR:
http://merkur.50megs.com/photo3.html

The Scorpio e brake cable is too long you will need to use a 2wd Sierra Cosworth parking brake cable for plug and play fitment.

If you have a Scorpio for parts take it a step further and convert your XR over to 5 lug and also gain the bigger HD bearings from the Scorpio.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

The link posted is what I was referencing...

For the rear I think the swap to 5 lug would be ok, but on the front it seems quite painful since struts don't fit, rotors need to be redrilled, what brakes to use. As mentioned, I have the parts and thought to do it, but, not sure it is worth it...I need more info.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Scorpio front calipers and XR front calipers are the same so you can just put the 5 lug fronts right on.
Theres a sleeve out there that lets you put the stock XR strut in the Scorpio knuckle, too. Fairly bolt on friendly.
( Godfrey made the sleeve originally, I think pyropete made some as well ).

If you get this far into it might as well move the Scorpio steering rack (longer tie rods), control arms, and 27.5mm front sway bar over.
Complete rear sub assembly will bolt into an XR also. (Bigger rear swaybar with inboard mounts).

Now you'd have 5 lug, disc brakes all the way around, wider track, and bigger heavy duty bearings and hubs. This is basically the set up on the Sierra Cosworth, except in 4 lug. I have some development pictures of the Cosworth somewhere and its in 5 lug wearing Scorpio wheels - easy to see they were digging in the readily available parts bins. :headbang
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:28 pm Scorpio front calipers and XR front calipers are the same so you can just put the 5 lug fronts right on.
Theres a sleeve out there that lets you put the stock XR strut in the Scorpio knuckle, too. Fairly bolt on friendly.
( Godfrey made the sleeve originally, I think pyropete made some as well ).

If you get this far into it might as well move the Scorpio steering rack (longer tie rods), control arms, and 27.5mm front sway bar over.
Complete rear sub assembly will bolt into an XR also. (Bigger rear swaybar with inboard mounts).

Now you'd have 5 lug, disc brakes all the way around, wider track, and bigger heavy duty bearings and hubs. This is basically the set up on the Sierra Cosworth, except in 4 lug. I have some development pictures of the Cosworth somewhere and its in 5 lug wearing Scorpio wheels - easy to see they were digging in the readily available parts bins. :headbang
I did recently see a photo of an XR with a Scorpio rear bar, I was debating to try and use that on my XR, but as mentioned, I would have to make a mount on the arms for the outer connection.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

my8950 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:37 pm
I did recently see a photo of an XR with a Scorpio rear bar, I was debating to try and use that on my XR, but as mentioned, I would have to make a mount on the arms for the outer connection.
Drop the whole rear beam out of the Scorpio; diff, brakes and all. Then bolt the whole assembly on your XR.

DOWNSIDE: Its a heavy cumbersome thing
UPSIDE: Its only 8 bolts. 2 bolts for the beam, 4 bolts for the diff, 2 bolts at the rear shocks.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:55 am
my8950 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:37 pm
Drop the whole rear beam out of the Scorpio; diff, brakes and all. Then bolt the whole assembly on your XR.

DOWNSIDE: Its a heavy cumbersome thing
UPSIDE: Its only 8 bolts. 2 bolts for the beam, 4 bolts for the diff, 2 bolts at the rear shocks.
Yep, I've done this before with the XR.
I guess my other concern is the width, you stated it is wider, so I'd also possibly have clearance issues with the tires.
The Scorpio I have doesn't have stock wheels, it has some that fit closely, so they are not the right size.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

my8950 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:03 am
I guess my other concern is the width, you stated it is wider, so I'd also possibly have clearance issues with the tires.
The Scorpio I have doesn't have stock wheels, it has some that fit closely, so they are not the right size.
Without knowing the specs on your wheel/tire setup, bear in mind that the XR has a lot more room in the back for larger wheels/tires than it does in the front.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

John Brennan wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am
Without knowing the specs on your wheel/tire setup, bear in mind that the XR has a lot more room in the back for larger wheels/tires than it does in the front.
Right, I'm not going crazy with any 10" tire or anything like that. I'd prefer to keep the same on all 4 corners.
205/50/16 is what I'm running now.
I can't have a rubber band tire like many other location due to the roads of Michigan are similar to that of the surface on the moon.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

my8950 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 am
Right, I'm not going crazy with any 10" tire or anything like that. I'd prefer to keep the same on all 4 corners.
205/50/16 is what I'm running now.
I can't have a rubber band tire like many other location due to the roads of Michigan are similar to that of the surface on the moon.
I've run that size-- pretty sure you'll be fine. You're absolutely right, besides the fact that a semi-trailing arm setup goes through camber changes with suspension travel, so rubber bands would probably be reducing your contact patch in that real-world scenario...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I'd prefer to use the spatula wheels even, this is my reason for trying to go with the Scorpio rear calipers.
I guess if I go 5-lug, then I can only use the few available wheels in this pattern.
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:51 am Info and parts for putting Scorpio rear calipers on the XR:
http://merkur.50megs.com/photo3.html
Hey Mike, your site doesn't tell what year Focus rotor you use on the rear. (I have them in a box, but I'm not sure what year they're from.)
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

my8950 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:15 pm

I'd prefer to use the spatula wheels even, this is my reason for trying to go with the Scorpio rear calipers.
I guess if I go 5-lug, then I can only use the few available wheels in this pattern.
There are TONS of wheels available in 5x112
Audi / VW / Mercedes
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Also real easy to convert to Mustang bolt pattern