Sell, Part out or Junk?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Azrael

Sell, Part out or Junk?

Post by Azrael »

I have a 1986 XR4Ti bought new by me in '86. It was my daily driver for many years. A couple years ago I got a 2012 Mustang (nice car).

Thus, the Merkur has mostly sat in the garage. My wife says to get rid of it. I love it but have neither the time nor energy to fix it up correctly.

Runs very well. Engine strong. New engine top end put on about 12 years ago. Repainted about 10 years ago. Most everything on the front suspension redone about 2 years ago (less than 5000 miles since).

I even won a 1st place trophy in the parking lot driving competition at Carlisle around '97 or '98!

The straw that broke the camel's back is my drivers side power window motor went out, with the window down :( It still runs and will get up and go, but with an inoperable window, it is a pain. Motor is still riveted in and does receive power (can hear it click when switch is depressed)

All stock with the exception of a 3" exhaust. And an aftermarket aluminum radiator (intercooler not installed, but I have it.)

Some pictures:Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Rack boots need replacing.

Interior in rough shape.

I do have cloth interior (door panels, rear seats, no front seats) that I picked up when I got the new dash.

I also have a set of Blizzacks:

Image[/URL]

A nice project car for the right person. I have loved this car for many years and would love to see the right someone rescue it.

Advice?

David
1986 XR4Ti = Original owner
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sell, Part out or Junk?

Post by turboxr »

Rust in the pinch welds or fenders?
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

My advice? Give it to me. I'll take care of it.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Keep or sell, would definitely not scrap this car unless you had irreparable rot holes in the floor/rockers.