Koni Cut-A-Strut

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Koni Cut-A-Strut

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

I was doing some 'strut' research and came across a Koni product that allows one to replace the 'damper' portion inside the strut housing. Koni has you drilling a hole in the bottom of the strut, cutting the top off and pulling the 'guts' out of the strut. Then one inserts a new 'strut cartridge' which is bolted into place using the hole previously drilled into the bottom of the strut. This set-up is similar to my Volvo 940 however, the Volvo uses a large gland nut that threads into the top of the strut tube locking the strut cartridge into place. I curious as to how the Koni design provides this kind of stability at the top of the strut cartridge?

Have a look at page 12 of the link below. It appears that whoever wrote the article was either not fluent in English or lacking somewhat in their technical skills so you may have to read it a few times to link the images to the text.

Maybe one of you has tried this set-up? With struts availability becoming an issue this may be a potential solution?

https://images.carid.com/koni/suspensio ... atalog.pdf

Hope it helps.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Koni Cut-A-Strut

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

I found a much better set of instructions;

http://www.koni-na.com/CorporateSite/me ... tstrut.pdf
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

This is not a new thing. As an example, Koni only sold an insert for the Alfa 164. I first installed a set over 20 years ago. Ironically, I just removed the second set today, as they've failed again! Mind you, the failure has nothing to do with the insert approach as it's a totally valid approach, just more involved than most want to deal with. And what if the strut housing is in need of replacement due to rust?

But is Koni now selling the inserts on a more generic, universal basis? The inserts I bought for the Alfa were a specific part# for that application.
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I guess the big question is...How Much?
Specialization is for Insects