Scorpio Lumbar Replacement?

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Scorpio Lumbar Replacement?

Post by brokencase »

I sure would like to get my lumbar pillows working again.
Saw these on Aliexpress. They seem like they might be a suitable replacement. Although I dread the job of pulling and dismantling the seats.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000550 ... 233325%234
Specialization is for Insects
Merkurfast
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Scorpio Lumbar Replacement?

Post by Merkurfast »

Dont see anything in that link.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I just clicked on it and it worked. You are probably cutting and pasting the link into your browser. Just click on it instead.

Try this https://tinyurl.com/ujrmuht
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

In the midst of pandemic bordem, I ordered a pair. I think I'm ready to tear the front seats apart so I can install these and an aftermarket heated seat kit. Bought a hog ring & plier set. Might do a little leather repair while I'm at it. Should be an interesting project. Will post project photos here when i start it all..
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

brokencase wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 pm In the midst of pandemic bordem, I ordered a pair. I think I'm ready to tear the front seats apart so I can install these and an aftermarket heated seat kit. Bought a hog ring & plier set. Might do a little leather repair while I'm at it. Should be an interesting project. Will post project photos here when i start it all..
It's a little daunting taking all those hog rings out, but just be patient and take pics along the way just in case you forget how things go back together. If you've got some spare leather pieces indeed it would be a good time to do some repair.

Look forward to reading about your experience. Please feel free to document it as much as you'd like. We won't mind. :cheers
Brad
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

You might not believe this. But back in the mid 90's when I had my first Scorpio, there was a pick an pull junk yard near me that had a Scorpio with a Raven interior. On one of their special discount days I went down a got a bunch of stuff off of that Scorpio. I grabbed a bunch of relays, the fuel computer, and some other bits. I also cut the leather from the rear seats. Stowed those leather pieces in a plastic bag up in the attic. Almost threw them away around 2005. Checked them recently and they look to be in good shape.

Glad I kept the fuel computer. It now resides in the current Scorpio. The original one's LCD display failed.

I have some pdf files from the UK Scorpio site that document seat disassembly. Can't post here, won't accept pdf attachments.

The heated seat kit was a bargain at $20 . It has a control module and a control switch that is a drop in to the Scorpio console rectangular hole.
The switch has independent roller adjustments for driver and passenger seats. I'll see if I can find a link to where I bought it from.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Dean

I have raven back seat leather if you need it.

Bob

PS Free & I'll deliver.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I appreciate that Bob, Let me wait until all the other stuff arrives and get the project started. If I need any I'll give you a holler.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The lumbar pillows arrived...
Attachments
lumbar_overall.jpg
lumbar_overall.jpg (399.22 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

They come with a rear support made of firm sheet of ABS? plastic. It provides an adhesive strip or there are holes for mounting..
Attachments
lumbarbackside.jpg
lumbarbackside.jpg (523.58 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The provided manual pumps are not too bad really. They are not as substantial as the original Scorpio pumps, but if i had no choice they would not make a bad replacement. I intend to adapt these to my original pumps
Attachments
lumbar_pump.jpg
lumbar_pump.jpg (392.77 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I think I'm going to do some kind of re-enforcement of the connection of the pipe to the pillow. Maybe silicone backed up by some JB weld or maybe something else. I just don't want them to fail prematurely after I go to all the trouble of tearing the seats apart to install them.
Attachments
lumbar_fit.jpg
lumbar_fit.jpg (600.44 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Loctite has a new shoe repair glue https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/prod ... _glue.html

Stuff works great, and its flexible. I find more and more ways to use it, including work boots, watchbands, and repairing tears in my golf net. It stands up to contact with golf balls, so it'll probably hold up on the pipe connection to the bladder. Says it takes a couple hours to cure, but I've found it sets up within 20 min. and you can put it to mild use. Not sure about sticking to the ABS, the fabric definitely.

If its the connection to the ABS you're concerned about, then silicone will probably do the trick for a while. I've pulled out some mickey-mouse waste plumbing where the installer siliconed the ABS joints. Guess it worked for a while, but then there wasn't any motion/flexing involved.

If it were me, I know that black ABS glue will definitely react (chemically weld) to the ABS, so I'd take a strip of material, ABS glue it to the ABS under the hose/bladder, then when that sets up, shoe glue the hose and bladder to the material. I doubt the ABS glue by itself would secure the bladder and hose. Annoying stuff, but you can eventually peel it off most other things after it sets up, including clothing.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Thanks for the tip John.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

john keefe wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:39 am Loctite has a new shoe repair glue https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/prod ... _glue.html
I was a little surprised that it comes in such a small tube. I've successfully used Loctite PL S30 Black Polyurethane Roof and Flashing Sealant for repairing shoes and seam sealing on automobiles. It comes in a 10 oz. caulk tube.
Brad