WTB Engine Mounts

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

WTB Engine Mounts

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Want to buy engine mounts for XR4Ti designed for the following engines.
2JZ-GTE
RB26DETT
VR30DETT
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: WTB Engine Mounts

Post by john keefe »

Serious planning, or "what if?" Nigel (Drakenet) up in BC did the Supra install, but he always welded or machined his own adapters, motor mounts and such. I don't know how (or how easily) the turbos fit inside the strut towers. Or, maybe he just went the NA route? I recall Brad having pictures of that project on MerkurTech, so you might contact him for pics to reference.

I always thought a couple of the BMW M-series engines would be a good setup, with Getrag transmissions, though a little long for the XR4Ti engine bay. But, per my buddy who owns an independent BMW/MBnz/Audi shop, they're not so much a PITA to work on, but gaskets, tensioners, bearings, etc. and a lot of other parts have a definite designed-for shelf life, and require BMW-specific fluid, especially for cooling. BMW has proprietary additives in all their fluid-related systems. Lot of nice looking salvaged/parted-out engines out there which require expensive rebuilding because owners/and shops) swapped to off-the-shelf lubricants after the warranty period ran out. Unfortunately, that's a favorite trick of BMW dealers, like Mercedes techs "forgetting" to install belt tensioners during scheduled services for timing belt changes.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Is that the green widebody xr? I think I remember seeing pics of that.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

I remember it being either a white or silver body while being built, but don't know how he finished it off. I believe he did an RS compression-strut front suspension, but swapped in the entire Supra rear suspension sub-assembly. Whatever it was, it was a nice looking IRS, instead of STA, though a lot of work to chop and weld the unibody frame/rails to get it positioned well. He just got a little bored of doing the same old RS500 builds for customers.

I'm too much of a "Ford Purist," but it really looked good, and I'm sure the performance potential of that engine in a car 800+ lbs lighter than the Supra would be a lot of fun. I appreciate other manufacturer's high performance engine designs (LS's, Hemi's), but what I never get is the same old, boring Model T/A, F100, Pintos/Mavericks, or other early/classic Fords with Chevy 305/327/350's and LS's. Let's see, you've got a Mustang II front suspension, a Ford 9" rear axle, Griggs or Meyer's Mustang rear suspension, and unless its a custom-built frame, almost everything else Ford. It's not like you didn't and don't have tons of Ford Hi-Po options to choose from, especially today with all the mod 5.0L variants. Heck, the pushrod 5.0L hi-po aftermarket with the introduction of EFI completely took over the market.

Just my biased opinion, but it's ironic that it's really saying the engines were good, but the cars were crap. There just aren't any old GM/Chevy/Pontiacs that lasted. Using cheap gauge steel for decades, minimal or no galvanizing of the frames, poor sealing around body joints and especially windows. What you almost never hear watching Mecum or Barrett-Jackson is that the GM car on display was a barn-find, or survivor. They've almost all been stored or garaged. Aside from some trucks in moderate climate, they just didn't last. Great engines, and some seriously stout automatic transmissions, but build-quality and durability.... nah. I really liked the old Barracuda's, original Road Runners, Chargers (granddad had one), but you could say the same about those, though scarcity now is likely just as related to relatively low production/sales compared to Ford and GM back then.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread with my rant.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I couldn't believe the mecum prices last week on tv. Not currently building anything, just wondering about motor mounts that are out there ready to go.
thewhitething

Post by thewhitething »

At this point you may have to make your own.

I'm having trouble just trying to find 302 Motor mounts for my XR.
- Jake
1986 XR4ti Project "The White Thing"
1989 Mustang GT "The Original Daily Driver"
1993 SVT Lightning "5 speed swapped"
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Almost better to make, or customize your own 5.0L XR mounts. The one I have and the others I've seen just don't provide any room for the steering rack hoses (left mount), and you have to grind away to get decent clearance, or otherwise mickey-mouse the hoses around the steel. I recall at the time that if I were to do it over and make one of my own, I'd tie it primarily onto the frame rail, not sit entirely on the cross-member (or at least only partially bearing on the cross member).

Haven't looked at it in a long time, so I don't know if that's really feasible with something like the stock 50L mount/bushing. It may sit too low to mount the support arm to the horizontally towards the frame rail. Or, maybe a little creative bending of the support arm might do the trick. I think, though, that tying in to the frame rail would make the front a lot more stout for the weight of the 5.0. Too much room to twist on only 4 upward mounting bolts (cross-member to rail). Probably why the FMS guys welded the RS mounts right to the frames. Plus, you could drop the front assembly without having to worry about supporting the engine, or hanging it from the fender channels.