TBird Rear Calipers + Brackets

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

TBird Rear Calipers + Brackets

Post by john keefe »

Bought these calipers and brackets a couple years, but never had the time to install. Decided to go instead w/ an hydraulic ebrake setup.

Both calipers are externally in really good shape, loaded with what looks like new pads, and slider pins and boots are fine. Anodized gold.

Passenger side works great. Driver side piston is tough to move, and the piston boot has a small tear in it. I just don't have time to take it apart and repair. Any Varga VFCC 2307.8 repair kit will work (same caliper as used in '93 Mustang Cobra, but same piston and boot as on several others).

Cost me $190.00 back then for the set. Considering you'll have to repair the one boot and clean up the piston & bore, I'd let them go for $160.00, plus shipping. ORO
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: TBird Rear Calipers + Brackets

Post by john keefe »

Would just like these gone; need all the space I can get in the garage. $90 for the calipers, $45 for the brackets.

The seal repair kit is FoMoCo number E7SL2L-128A. Dorman# = D351837, Raybestos # WK1967. Readily available, as it seems Varga used the same piston and components for various later versions of their floating caliper (Mustang, Cobra, Taurus, etc.).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-Disc- ... SwnGJWTkaO
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Bump.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Still for sale. Reasonable offers considered.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Bump, again
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Still available. Make reasonable offer.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Brake caliper from pull it yard would be 12.57 plus 3 dollar core plus tax so call it 35 bucks. Pair of rebuilt ones off Ebay double that much.
https://www.ebay.com/i/303038020314?rt= ... %3DDefault
Why not just sell the brackets since they would ship for a lot less money. Or even better use them to mass produce the kits and sell a bunch of the kits.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Thanks Andy, looks like a new ad I hadn't seen. Those are for later production years (1993+, 2000+). The majority of ads for '83-'86 start in the $90+ for a single, unloaded caliper. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=m ... sacat=6030 , considerably higher for a reman pair

I don't know if they share the same mounting bolt hole pattern, though they share some of the same service components. Maybe someone here knows. Regardless, as advertised I'd take a reasonable offer for less than those, and these are already loaded with new pads.

I've already gone through both, and these are about as close as you can get to new loaded remans, except for the sticky piston (see original post). Simple fix, but I'm going an hydraulic ebrake direction for weight considerations, so I'm not going to make the repair if there's apparently no interest in them.

I did list a separate price for the brackets if anyone wanted just those. Again, priced (or offer considered for less) than what these were going for here not long ago, and less than what I paid. Making copies was a good idea a few years ago, but hard to justify the expense today when there's apparently no interest in one pair at a discounted price.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You are right the 87-88 ones cost more. The rears even cost more than the front calipers for some reason. Maybe fix the sticky one and see if you can stuff them into a medium flat rate box, complete kit ready to go, 150 shipped. Seems like someone would want them.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

That would be nice, but still no free time to work on the stuck caliper. Problem with being a GC during these times is that I've got all sorts of Honey-Do projects I'm several years tardy, and no excuse not to do them. Can't argue that I'd have to buy tools, either... :( But, these are still available...
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Bump! Thanks for looking
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Bump for the rear calipers... still looking for a good home, potty trained and some obedience classes.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Still looking for a home for these... Just taking up garage space at the moment