'88 Scorpio For Sale

Scorpio cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

'88 Scorpio For Sale

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

It has been awhile, too many projects competing for my time. I never envisioned retirement would be this busy!

This took a great deal of soul searching between my better half and myself - we have decided to sell the Scorpio. With a 7 month window of 'salt free' roads we are not using the car enough.

Car currently has 84K miles (spare Metric instrument cluster [Euro style] included), and we are the fourth care takers of this vehicle. The original owner (Fremont, California), had the car until 2015, after which it was owned by two collectors in the Windsor, Ontario, Canada area (across the river from Detroit). We bought the car in late 2020 and had it shipped here (enclosed transport). It has never been winter driven, never seen snow and always stored in a heated garage. This car is very tidy and quite the head turner.

Car has the original gold paint except the drivers door, replaced during original owners care (A and B pillar not affected). There is a stone dent on the leading edge of the hood, as well as a 1 cm (3/8"), chip on the hood and small area of paint peeling on the drivers rear fender spoiler piece. Leather interior is very good other than some wear on the bolster nearest the door - the original owners were elderly. The vents flaps for the dash vents have been removed (twisted due to age), so the motors will cycle for about 20 seconds after start up.

EVERYTHING works as it should, AC blows nice and cold, converted to R134a along with a new Sanden compressor in 2015. System was topped up on April 23, 2022.
Comes with the following;
1. detailed service history from day 1.
2. two factory service manuals.
3. factory electrical and vacuum trouble shooting guide.
4. wiring diagrams (all 14 pages), printed on 14 x 27.5" paper.
5. OBD1 code tester.
6. catalogued / labelled inventory of spare parts (aftermarket, OEM and used) [enough boxes to fill the back of the car with the rear seats folded].
7. all the original factory 'glove box documents' (owners manual, etc.).

Sympathetic Improvements;
1. auxiliary transmission cooler.
2. electric cooling fan upgraded.
3. relay circuit added to engage electric cooling fan when AC compressor is on.
4. all cooling system hoses except upper / lower radiator are Silicone.
5. all vacuum hoses are also Silicone (colour coded).
6. keyless entry module integrated into power door lock circuit (both original keys included, yes, the light works [new battery]).
7. window tint film added to all windows except windshield.

On April 12th the car will have new tires installed and its biannual mechanical safety inspection. The province of Nova Scotia, Canada requires that all vehicles are checked for mechanical fitness every two years.

I've gone through this car from front to back (all documented), and it needs nothing. Asking $11,000 USD / $15,000 CAD. 'Meet half way' delivery options could be considered. More pictures available upon request.

NOTE; I am in the middle of a major basement renovation that has me 'off grid' every second week. Normally I respond to emails within 24 hours but if I'm away, it could take longer, so bear with me.
Merkur Scorpio.JPG
Merkur Scorpio.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 50552 times
Thanks for your interest.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: '88 Scorpio For Sale

Post by brokencase »

Sorry to see you moving on Peter. Was hoping to meet you at one of the Carlisle gatherings at some point.
Car looks great and I hope you find a buyer.
Specialization is for Insects
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello Brokencase,

Thank you for the message and the kind words. This will be one of those cars that we will regret selling at some point down the road (pardon the pun). I have just enough energy left to rebuild / restore one more car before I'm no longer physically able. The sale of the Scorpio will help look after that. In case you are wondering I've acquired a very tidy low mileage police package 1988 Plymouth Gran Fury - an excellent base for a 'sleeper' muscle car. I have a weakness for American V8 engines with headers and performance camshaft (lumpy idle), hence the new project.

One day I hope to get down to Carlisle, my neighbour is a Ford guy with a muscle car collection to drool over.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm I have just enough energy left to rebuild / restore one more car before I'm no longer physically able.
I hear ya... Presently restoring my late brother's Triumph GT6. Pretty sure that is the last one for me also.

Take care...
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:14 pm
Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm I have just enough energy left to rebuild / restore one more car before I'm no longer physically able.
I hear ya... Presently restoring my late brother's Triumph GT6. Pretty sure that is the last one for me also.

Take care...
https://barnfinds.com/1972-triumph-gt6/

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Just curious - Did it sell?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:16 pm Just curious - Did it sell?
Not yet...
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

A really nice one was selling in Barberton, I think it was totally stock like 150k, the heat did not work and it was an ohio car. But no rust showing, fn rust I hate you so much, anyway. Guy sold it for 1.5k I think? I used to see it going around all the time years and years later. Guess they never did fix the heat on it. Then the rear windows did not operate and they used inflatable pool toys as a solution. The rear doors did not latch correctly so they used some chains to hold them closed. Just like my 2001 Ford Taurus the door liked to open going around corners which was frustrating. I would park next to the other Merkur and take a picture because it was out being used everyday, 30 years after being made, not working as intended. What a piece of junk. Wouldn't consider the owner's "actual" Merkur people just people driving whatever was available and cheap. They would drive anything. They got their money out if it. The drivetrain lasted and did very well. I haven't seen a Scorpio driving around in person since maybe 2021. A really really nice one could go for some major dollars. If it was the best one in the country. Problem is finding the right buyer.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Stevepurk

Post by Stevepurk »

Has this sold?