WTB - Metric Speedometer

Scorpio cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, DPDISXR4Ti

Merkur Club web site
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

WTB - Metric Speedometer

Post by Fresh Air Inspector »

Hello All,

Looking for either a speedometer or complete instrument. Unfortunately the cluster I recently acquired from 'my8950' has a defective odometer plus the painted face markings are peeling off (sun?). Pity. :-)

So, if anyone has a one, please let me know the price including shipping, USPS is fine. Ship to is LaHave, Nova Scotia, Canada. Payment via PayPal.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: WTB - Metric Speedometer

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Fresh Air Inspector wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:52 pm Hello All,

Looking for either a speedometer or complete instrument. Unfortunately the cluster I recently acquired from 'my8950' has a defective odometer plus the painted face markings are peeling off (sun?). Pity. :-)

So, if anyone has a one, please let me know the price including shipping, USPS is fine. Ship to is LaHave, Nova Scotia, Canada. Payment via PayPal.
Odometer repair is usually two gears (procedure documented here), or/and possibly the stepper motor (Jeff Herson may be able to acquire new).

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I had three issues with the speedometer; odometer (note; gear set different from the imperial speedometers), stepper motor and the painted face markings. The latter is the more difficult issue, a new face is a custom job and the quote I have is ~$1300 USD!!!! So, my only option is to either find an SI speedometer or continue with the existing MPH speedometer. Hopefully someone out there has an SI speedometer.
Thank you and take care,
Peter
1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1988 Plymouth Caravelle (police package), 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Try Ford v6 Cologne 2.3 2.6 2.8 2.9 4.0 …in Norway on facebook
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Can't you live with the US spec speedometer? It is dual indexed showing both MPH and km/h.
there is one up on ebay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/165419674854

IMHO, You will probably spend an unnecessary amount of time, money, and effort trying locate a metric unit.

Get operational now, and perhaps some time in the future you will come across a metric unit.
Specialization is for Insects
Fresh Air Inspector
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the tip. Had to ask my better half to do the search as I closed my FB account in 2007. It ended up being a dead end.

Hello Brokencase,

Trying to read the km/h markings is difficult as they are smaller and the colour contrast is lower than the white digits for the MPH. Also not having either odometer in km/h is a pain. Last but not least, Canada switched to the SI system in 1973 and all our road signs have been converted. Having a metric speedometer here makes driving here so much easier.

Hello All,

I managed to find a pair of metric instrument clusters with the correct Ford part number in Germany. At $100 USD each (incl. shipping), it was worth it. Should be here next week. :-)
Thank you and take care,
Peter
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

FAI

The colonies are still resisting this "metric" thing as an European conspiracy. And don't admit the provinces are using a new and improved measurement system.