2004 Carlisle Award Winners

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2004.
Merkur Club web site
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

mhamilton wrote:
John Brennan wrote:Is America ready for its first Merkur wedding? :D
I think Erik and Taryn or Peter and Rose have that title
when Taryn and myself got married(August) I said that a quater of the guests were Merkur owners, and more than half new we raced our XR's! it was even sneaked in the speach my best man gave!! :lol: all the car guys and girls made some noise! it was funny!! But Very Cool! :lol: :lol:
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mhamilton »

I was recently watching a video of the MCA awards banquet. I got to the part where all of the judges for the awards were asked to stand up. When we did (I was one) the camera was on me and then I heard someone say "Mark was a judge and he got an award, imagine that!". Yes I had received the best 88 modified XR award 10 minutes earlier, but it was a surprise to me.

I had asked that the announcement be made that those judging had nothing to do with their own class(es) of car(s). Mike Rutherford and I were involved in a totally different year of cars, none of which years either of us had there.

SO, as far as I know there is no conspiracy in the judging. It is done a fairly as possible. An example would be Paul West. I am sure he feels a little uncomfortable getting the stock '89 XR award every year. If someone else would bring competition, he would probably invite it.
"Head for the Hills, the Town of Lompach is Under Water!"
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Oh, anyone wanting one of these Carlsile videos that will play in your home DVD player (VCD format) I have them for 5 bucks + 2 bucks shipping. Paypal id: vertzine@juno.com
Description and picture here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6331527601
Hey Mark, is the voice "Mark was a judge and he won an award, imagine that!" coming from close to the camera or further away? If it sounds like it was from our table where the video was shot it was probably one of us drunks at the table trying to give you a hard time :lol: If it was from our table we were just kidding :wink:
Now, if were from somewhere else who knows, but no one I know takes that awards stuff too seriously :roll:
Its just a plaque afterall!
And on the subject of Carlsile awards, I really liked David Godfrey's couple of awards he personally made & handed out - if it wasn't for him, Phil Marshall's 600+HP XR wouldn't even have been mentioned there!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

As Mike suggests, I truly hope that comment was said in jest. Frankly, it was in bad taste even as a joke. As you correctly state Mark, you did not judge your class, nor did any of the other judges. Thanks for "leading by example" with your efforts and those of the other volunteer judges.
mhamilton wrote:I was recently watching a video of the MCA awards banquet. I got to the part where all of the judges for the awards were asked to stand up. When we did (I was one) the camera was on me and then I heard someone say "Mark was a judge and he got an award, imagine that!". Yes I had received the best 88 modified XR award 10 minutes earlier, but it was a surprise to me.

I had asked that the announcement be made that those judging had nothing to do with their own class(es) of car(s). Mike Rutherford and I were involved in a totally different year of cars, none of which years either of us had there.

SO, as far as I know there is no conspiracy in the judging. It is done a fairly as possible. An example would be Paul West. I am sure he feels a little uncomfortable getting the stock '89 XR award every year. If someone else would bring competition, he would probably invite it.
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mhamilton »

I knew it was somewhat sarcasm, I just wanted to set the record straight unless someone else would have an issue with it. I just remember that disclosure was not announced.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Heh heh, I'm gonna go listen to it and see if I can tell who said it :lol:
Honestly I've heard similar things said about just about every year since the "MCA takeover". I would jump in and say that I think there are a few cars that get overlooked (somehow??), but then you guys would just try to get me to volunteer to judge next year, but then I would just give the award to myself (even if it was a Scorpio award and I had an XR there). :lol:
Honestly I do think that the judging/judges should be taken seriously, but not THAT seriously.
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Hey all you Carlisle judges out there - well done, good job, keep up the good work. (and thats from a guy who won bugger all)! :shock:

Wilky

PS: In the background to my video's I could have sworn I heard FastMaul say he wanted the finance job on the executive, Ed said he was buying a Honda Civic, Sarah R said FastFord87 was cute, and JB said he was moving to Canada 'cos he was sick of the AZ heat! :shock:
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

wilky wrote:Hey all you Carlisle judges out there - well done, good job, keep up the good work. (and thats from a guy who won bugger all)! :shock:

Wilky

PS: In the background to my video's I could have sworn I heard FastMaul say he wanted the finance job on the executive, Ed said he was buying a Honda Civic, Sarah R said FastFord87 was cute, and JB said he was moving to Canada 'cos he was sick of the AZ heat! :shock:
Correction: I was asking Sarah, sotto voce, if she was 18 yet :mrgreen:

YMMV 8)