My introduction

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
McNubbin

My introduction

Post by McNubbin »

Hello Merkur Club. Just a quick intorduction. I am a resident of the greatest state in the mighty Midwest. Michigan. Just yesterday I picked up my first Merkur. An 86 XR4TI. She suffers from the typical rust belt cancer, but I have the cure and the know how to bring her back from the brink. Luckily the engine runs, the trans spins and the tires roll.
I bought it off a fellow whom had it a few years but didn't get to much done. Actually. Probably took more apart than put together. Works for me though. Less work to do as its gonna need new floor boards off the bat. It also needs exhaust and intake work done, amongst a mountain of other work.
It does however have 15 Focus ST calipers swapped in (though it still needs rotors. I'll probably get a set of ST rotors and have them redrilled, however does anyone know if there's a different rotor I can use with this setup that doesn't need the lug holes drilled?). The turbo hot side has had the original wastegate welded up and a new "spacer" with an external wastegate hooked up.
My intentions are to use it for racing, so the first step is repairing the floor and other rusted out buts. Then I am going to weld in a cage and a few chassis stiffening bits. Build out a dash appropriate for racing. Then it's off to finish getting the engine running properly. I'll save all the gorey details though for a proper build post.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My introduction

Post by Bob Weir »

Welcome to the club.
Great to see you're converting a rusty one rather than a solid XR into a racing machine. It always upsets me when I see someone chop up a street able Merkur.What type of racing are you planning to use it for?

The XR4Ti forum is the best place to post questions regarding your XR.

Project, Photo & Video Phorum is best for posting you build progress.

The MCA has several sponsors that specialize in NOS, used and replacement parts for Merkurs.  Additionally, we have a Classifieds section open to any forum members to buy/sell parts, vehicles and memorabilia related to Merkurs.  For the correct part and information, you can always count on our sponsors. Each with 30+ years experience. You can contact (in no particular order) Jeff Herson at http://merkurmidwest.com/, Mike Oyler at http://www.merkur.50megs.com/ or Russ Harness at https://www.rapidogroup.com/.

Bob
b2bomber

Post by b2bomber »

We are in the same mindset as mine is very rusty. If your pinch welds are non-existent, I suggest you drop your rear subframe and check the captive nut area where the two bolts go into. This area should be the first concern in my opinion.
1986 Merkur XR4TI project..
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 12v, 5speed, 4x4, OBA, Winch, DIY flatbed+bumpers, Raptor lined, and some Carli bits.
2012 Kia Optima SX
2010 Honda CRV
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Welcome and congrats on the purchase :cheers