Both BRAKE and ABS light's on.

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
b2gallant

Both BRAKE and ABS light's on.

Post by b2gallant »

I hope someone can help me with this.
Mercury Sable, 3.0L, V6, DOHC, 120Kmiles ( haven't driven the car that much at all).
Both BRAKE and ABS lights on.

1- If I disconnect the connector that goes to the Brake Fluid Level Sensor, the brake light goes out.

I bought a new master cylinder but wanted to test it with an ohm meter before installing it, in order to compare it to the one in the car to see if I get the same reading. Master cylinder has the oil reservoir attached to it and the connector on it.
Can someone tell me what resistance to expect between the three pins in the connector
pins 1-2
pins 1-3
pins 2-3

I need to pass inspection next month and will not pass with the brake light on.
The Taurus uses the same master cylinder.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Both BRAKE and ABS light's on.

Post by MarkM »

Hi Bill,

Are you aware that this forum is dedicated to the Merkur (not Mercury) marque and any knowledge that we have of Taurus/Sable brake systems is purely coincidental? I'm sure that there are multiple Ford forums out there that are more likely to have the answer you're looking for than here. I've released your post from moderation anyway on the off chance that one of the members might be able to help, but your vehicle is not where our expertise lies.
Mark
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The ABS light could be many things: best to have a repair shop use a specialized tool, a breakout box, to plug into the ABS computer to find what is faulty.

The Brake light could be from low brake fluid level, or possibly a dirty brake fluid float sensor (remove it and inspect/clean).

The above are thoughts in general re those two lights.

YMMV

Edit: Also re the Brake light, check to assure the parking brake lever is fully released (nothing blocking it from full Off position).
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
b2gallant

Post by b2gallant »

Thanks, I just realized that I am on the wrong forum. But thank you for your recommendations/advice/answer.

Regards,
Bill
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Sable was from 1986 - 2009.
Stating the year would be helpful to get any information on your specific issue.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

They may not check for abs light to come on then go off, only the cel. You may be able to remove the bulb. Brake light usually means parking brake or low fluid level. You may be able to wire it to go off, if the level sensor doesn't complete the circuit for some reason. A good scanner may be able to clear the abs light. Sometimes those are on from removing a seatbelt or airbag and can be reset. Or the sensor at a wheel is dirty and making the abs light go on. Again the scan tool can point you in the right direction. May be worth having a place like autozone scan it for free, though I'm not sure what type of scanner they have.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.